The simple strategies elite competitive dancers use to consistently place at competitions.
Did you know 92.5% of dancers surveyed report an improvement in their competition scores and 97.3% report an increase in their enjoyment of the dance competition experience after they have completed mindset training? But what is mindset training? Is it difficult? Mindset training is the number 1 tool elite athletes use to improve their performance. It impacts everything from training to performance and is a skill you can apply to all areas of your life. Have you ever watched an athlete achieve the impossible, push through when all seemed lost, and triumph against all odds. These truly inspiring performances are 100% the result of mindset. Previously mindset training was available only to those athletes that could access performance psychologists and was restricted to elite level athletes competing at world championships and the Olympics. That was until the Success Mindset Journal for Dancers was created. Written in conjunction with dance teachers and performance psychology professionals, this downloadable journal puts all the skills and knowledge you need to achieve like an Olympian. It is designed to be used by competitive dancers and is set up as a journal-style workbook so that competitive dancers can work through it, gaining the insight, skills, and knowledge they need to unleash this powerful tool on the stage. The exercises, case studies, and examples are all designed to meet the specific needs of competitive dancers and provides young dancers access to this previously complicated scientific field.
If your dancer is ready to uncover the missing link and unlock their true potential then this is the tool for them! The Dancer Success Mindset Journal begins by introducing the concept of Growth Mindset as it applies to dance. The impact of this incredibly powerful tool is astounding. Once they have undergone a Mindset Reset, dancers are guided through strategies to overcome roadblocks to success and redefine success and failure so that failures simply become stepping stones to success. Without the fear of failure to hold them back, dancers will be amazed at their progress. From here, dancers are challenged to face their own weaknesses as they learn to align their actions with intentions. This is an absolute GAME CHANGER! Once dancers have learned to utilize the power of Growth Mindset, redefined failure, overcome their personal roadblocks, and aligned their intentions with their actions, they are guided through a series of goal-setting exercises. These are a selection of incredibly valuable tools that dancers can apply to their dancing and to their life outside dancing. Understanding how goal setting really works, and how to make sure you stick to the goals you have set vital for goal achievement. Finally, there is a section at the end of the journal to help process Lockdown 2020 and to extract some valuable lessons.
The Success Mindset Journal contains 50 pages of dancer-specific worksheets designed to create a Success Mindset for Dancers. Modules included are
- Growth Mindset – the first section of the journal introduces dancers to Growth Mindset as it applies specifically to dance. Dancers are encouraged to connect effort with success and to explore the concept of success beyond shiny trophies and sashes.
- Once dancers have harnessed the power of Growth Mindset they are ready to tackle the notion of failure. Dancers slowly unpack this sometimes frightening concept and peel away the fear they may feel until Failure becomes just another stepping stone to their success. Banishing a fear of failure is incredibly powerful and a key step to paving the way to reach new levels of success.
- Next, come personal roadblocks. Dancers are encouraged to explore their own roadblocks, the fears that hold them back. Using a dancer-specific process, dancers are encouraged to face their roadblocks head-on and develop strategies to overcome them.
- The next tool to learn is Laser Focus and a Unicorn Mindset. Distraction and negative thoughts have an enormous impact on dancer performance. Wobbling on skills, falling out of turns, failing to give a personal best performance, all can be solved by learning to ignore distractions and banishing self-doubt.
- The next section can be confronting for dancers as it focuses on aligning intentions with actions. This is where dancers must decide whether the actions they take are actually in line with what they want to achieve. Did the hours they spent on social media help them to achieve their goals – are they focusing in class and fixing their corrections?
- Once dancers have mastered a growth mindset, uncovered their motivations, overcome their personal roadblocks, and aligned their actions with intentions, it is time to start guided goal setting. Most goals are never achieved. Dancers work on them for a few days or a week and then forget about them entirely. This section of the journal provides dancers with the tools and knowledge they need to actually achieve their goals. These skills are life-changing and can be taken forward into life beyond dancing.
- The final section of the journal deals with Lockdown and helps dancers process the experience and scaffolds the process of learning from the Lockdown experience.
The Dancer Success Mindset journal comes to you as a downloadable PDF document so you can print it out and use it as many times are you like. There is also a link to the individual worksheets so extra copies can be printed and exercises and reflections repeated as necessary. Give your dancer the edge this competition season and watch them achieve their true potential.